Two Beers One Cup Update^2

posted on January 29, 2009 in random beer thoughts

Actually, this post is updating my update of this post (OMG, I love meta-levels!).  I pointed out in that update some of the more inappropriate-sounding names for beer mixes, including “The Black Hoe”.  Well, I just thought it was worth noting on BMAB that someone actually ordered one at my restaurant this Tuesday.  Here’s what happened:

Guy: “What are you getting?  Oh no, I know what you’re getting [looking at friend]; I’m ordering for him.  Here’s what you’re gonna do, li’l lady*: fill the glass half full with Hoegaarden, then fill the top half with Guinness.”

I look at Dude Man.

Dude Man: “OK, sure.”

Me [still debating whether I should say anything to them about the name of this drink]: “Alright, and what can I get for you?”

Guy: “A Diet Coke.”

Me: [WTF?!  You were so excited about beer!  But good on you if you're DD.] “Sure.”

I go over to the bartender, who I had a conversation about the various beer mixes before, in which I told her about the Black Hoe.  Gittily, I tell her a guy just ordered one.  She makes it.  I take it over to Dude Man and Guy.

Me: One Diet Coke and one….half-Hoegaarden, half-Guinness.  [I start to walk away...then I gather some courage.]  So, do you know what another name for that drink is?

Guy: A Black-and-Blue?  No, that’d be Blue Moon.  No, what is it?

Me [trying to figure out the best way to not sound like a racist douche-bag]: Well I was reading about beer mixes on Wikipedia and it said the name for it was…”Black Hoe”…but I can’t imagine anyone would feel comfortable ordering that at a bar.”

Laughter ensues.

Guy: Good for you for doing beer research on Wikipedia.  So, you know, if you really want to serve it right, you’d also bring a straw with it to mix it…[realizes he has a straw in Diet Coke, takes it out, and swirls Dude Man's beverage]…like that.  And it should create a nice foamy head.  There, that way you maximize…[Guy stalls, struggling to find words]”

Me: Deliciousness?

Guy: Flavor.

Dude Man: It’s the best hoe I’ve ever had.

I laugh, but walk away thinking two things: 1) indeed, that drink was awkward to talk about; and 2) it would be a lot cooler if they called that drink the Black Gaarden.  Let’s change that, beer world.

I do wonder, though, if Guy was right that we should serve a straw with mixed beers.  I wonder so much, in fact, that I may have to do a side-by-side taste test.  I’ll keep you posted…via a post: Update of an update of an update

*Note: He may not have actually said “li’l lady”, but it felt right.

del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google reddit StumbleUpon

6 Comments »

1. First off, sorry I never actually got to reading this until basically just now. What a horrible coworker I am.

I remember this day! It was really funny. Well narrated! Especially the lil lady addition, I would ave believed it.

Comment by Sara — March 12, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

2. First off, sorry I never actually got to reading this until basically just now. What a horrible coworker I am.

I remember this day! It was really funny. Well narrated! Especially the lil lady addition, I would have believed it.

Comment by Sara — March 12, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

3. aaaanddd ignore the first post haha

Comment by Sara — March 12, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

4. Do some people call it a Dirty Hoe? I had one somewhere once, and I think they called it that.

Comment by Andy — March 17, 2009 @ 6:41 pm

5. Hi theгe еvеryone, it’s my first pay a visit at this site, and article is really fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these types of posts.

Stop by my homepage; wedding locations long island

Comment by wedding locations long island — April 30, 2013 @ 8:14 am

6. Nice aproachSome quostiens:1 Was any handicap sistem in mind when designing the boat? IRC? any estimated TCC?2 Without a backstay, how will you depower when racing without changing sails (winward leeward courses)? and, will you achieve an enough tight stay in heavy wind?3 I see the traditional interior layout as a nice correct solution, but going for the front cabin independent comes with a very small couchette (I think only for one person). Have you given a chance to a double after cabin, and forward head and storage? This solution is also better for droping the kite through the front hatch (wet sails).4 what is the suposed place for the mainsail trimer, in front or after the helmsman?Thank you for sharing all this info in such a way. Nice jobbest regardsGustavoFrom Juan K. e0 Gustavo1. The handicap wich we focuse the boat is IRC. Trial rating is 0.99 wich includes the big roach mainsail. However the boat will rate in ORC club aswell.2. Without a backstay, one has to use the mainsail cunnigham, and the vang. The mainsheet tension hase direct impact on the forestay tension. However in the standard version, the forestay is not adjustable while racing and it is recommended to sart off with a very tied forestay wich in light airs looses tension using the devices mentionned above. However, more having a direct adjustment for the forestay while racing will increase the adjustment possibilities and such a feater is beeing studied to be implemented in a specific version of the yacht.3. The front cabin is for 2 persons. The beds are as large as on the 31.7. Moreover, the lack of backstay allows the mast to be substantially further back on the boat allowing the dinner table to be bigger and uninterrumpted by the mast. On top of that, the front cabin is bigger and accessible by a nice space created between the table and the entrance of the cabin. This space is vey comfortable and would have been impossible to achieve with a classic mast configuration.4. The best place for the mainsal trimmer is in front of the helmsman, however the ergonomy is designed for the helmsman to have an easy control of the mainsail if there is no mainsail trimmer.Best,Juan K.

Comment by Sunita — September 10, 2014 @ 2:28 pm